Here are some guideline to help you know which mulch to choose:
1. All mulches will assist with water retention and weed and erosion control.
2. It is found that shredded barks (in particular, the hardwood variety) work best on slopes and are less likely to wash away.
3. Hardwood mulches tend to break down more quickly than softwoods and may often need to be replaced more often. Bark nuggets take the longest time to break down.
4. Composted pine bark fines is a wonderful soil amendment, as
well as a top dressing. This product is commonly used by landscapers
to produce their potting medias.
5. Cypress mulches are aromatic and highly bug resistant, as well as being very attractive for landscaping projects.
6. Chips are commonly used in playgrounds. They can also be used for decorative purposes. Keep in mind that they will easily float and be washed away if used on hills or low lying areas where water tends to pool.